Re: SQL access to database attributes

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: SQL access to database attributes
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 5/24/14, 8:14 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Vik Fearing<vik.fearing@dalibo.com>  writes:
>> >You can ALTER DATABASE from anywhere.
> Perhaps it'd be wise to have a safety check to disallow turning off
> datallowconn for the last connectable database?  Although it couldn't be
> bulletproof due to race conditions, so maybe that'd just be nannyism.
> (If you do shoot yourself in the foot that way, I think we ignore
> datallowconn in standalone mode.)

I think this is nannyism that would be well placed. Most people don't know about standalone, and I don't think we want
tochange that.

BTW, I think the race condition could be eliminated if we did something like (forgive the user-space semantics):

SELECT datallowconn FROM pg_database WHERE datallowconn AND datname <> $$database we're disallowing connections on$$
LIMIT1 FOR UPDATE;

If you don't get a record back from that you abort; meanwhile no one else can disallow connections on that database
untilyou commit or rollback.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net