Re: Regarding server sizing for postgres database

От Steve Crawford
Тема Re: Regarding server sizing for postgres database
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 05/16/2014 10:20 PM, Ramkumar Raghavan wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   I need to decide the server hardware configuration for the postgres
> database.
>
> I have the following information for sizing:
>
> concurrent users: 100
>
> Total data traferred throughout a day to the database: 10GB
>
> Total database storage size required: 3TB
>
> I am planning to virtualize it using vmware ESXi.
>
> Please let me know if 10 core, 64bit Intel CPU, 24GB RAM sufficient
> for the above requirements.

Who knows?

100 mostly idle users doing small optimized selects is a far cry from 80
users with rapid response requirements doing a constant heavy stream of
inserts and updates to tables with multiple indexes and foreign-key
constraints while the other 20 are doing large reporting and analytics
queries. Both use-cases match the above description.

To get a useful answer you will need to provide lots more detail about
the nature of the workload and expected responsiveness.

Cheers,
Steve