Re: pg_basebackup: could not get transaction log end position from server: FATAL: could not open file "./pg_hba.conf~": Permission denied

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: pg_basebackup: could not get transaction log end position from server: FATAL: could not open file "./pg_hba.conf~": Permission denied
Дата
Ответ на Re: pg_basebackup: could not get transaction log end position from server: FATAL: could not open file "./pg_hba.conf~": Permission denied  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/16/2014 08:19 AM, Tom Lane wrote:

>> pg_hba.conf~ is not an important file.
>
> Rather than blaming the messenger, you should be asking why there are
> files in $PGDATA that the server can't read.  That's a recipe for trouble
> no matter what.
>
> Or in words of one syllable: this is a bug in your editor, not in Postgres.

Hardly and shows a distinct lack of user space experience. It also shows
how useless pg_basebackup "can" be. Basically you are saying, "Well
yeah, there is this rogue file that doesn't belong, fark it... we will
blow away a 2TB base backup and make you start over because.. meh,
pg_basebackup is lazy."

Software is supposed to make our lives easier, not harder. I should be
able to evaluate the errors for the conditions they create. This is why
rsync is and for the forseeable future will be king for creating base
backups.

JD