behaviour of LENGTH() in postgresql v. 8

От Marcus Andree S. Magalhaes
Тема behaviour of LENGTH() in postgresql v. 8
Дата
Re: behaviour of LENGTH() in postgresql v. 8  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-novice
Dear all,

While checking the last Beta3-Beta4 Changelog of Postgres 8.0,
I saw the following:

    * doc/TODO: Remove completed items:
        <snip>
          * -Make LENGTH() of
      CHAR() not count trailing spaces

If I understand correctly, this will lead to the following situation:

      CHAR_LENGTH('ABCD') == CHAR_LENGTH('ABCD    ') == 4

This will definitely break some of our applications.

Just want to be sure if this LENGTH() behaviour _will_ appear
on the next version of Postgres. If true, can we somehow revert
to the current LENGTH() behaviour?

Can someone, please, clarify this issue?

Thanks a lot.