Re: popen and pclose redefinitions causing many warning in Windows build

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: popen and pclose redefinitions causing many warning in Windows build
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/14/2014 05:37 PM, Noah Misch wrote:
> On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 03:15:38PM +0300, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> On 05/09/2014 02:56 AM, Noah Misch wrote:
>>> MinGW: http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/mingw-org-wsl/ci/master/tree/include/stdio.h#l467
>>> MinGW-w64: http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw-w64/code/HEAD/tree/trunk/mingw-w64-headers/crt/stdio.h#l496
>>>
>>> Building with any recent MinGW-w64, 32-bit or 64-bit, gets the reported
>>> warnings; building with MinGW proper does not.
>>
>> Hmm. The MinGW-w64 header does this:
>>
>>> #if !defined(NO_OLDNAMES) && !defined(popen)
>>> #define popen _popen
>>> #define pclose _pclose
>>> #endif
>>
>> So if we defined popen() before including stdio.h, that would get
>> rid of the warning. But we don't usually do things in that order.
>
> True.  I have no strong preference between that and use of #undef.

I think I would prefer #undef. The risk with that is if some platform
has #defined popen() to something else entirely, for some good reason,
we would be bypassing that hypothetical wrapper. But I guess we'll cross
that bridge if we get there.

>> Could we define NO_OLDNAMES? I couldn't find any documentation on
>> it, but it seems to a bunch of lot of wrapper functions and defines.
>> If we can get away without them, that seems like a good thing...
>
> That's a bit like compiling with "gcc -std=c89" on Unix.  It would lead us to
> add "#define strdup(x) _strdup(x)" and similar.  I wouldn't do that.

Ugh. I can't believe they marked strdup(x) as deprecated.

- Heikki