Re: psqlODBC text length with no records

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: psqlODBC text length with no records
Дата
Re: psqlODBC text length with no records
Список pgsql-odbc
On 05/14/2014 06:31 AM, Barry Bell wrote:
> I am referring the output of the odbc driver from SQL statement:
> SELECT initcap('ABCDEF')::varchar vv FROM dual WHERE 1=0
>
> You link only show the date type in postgres and I am asking about the driver output.

This is what you asked:

"You said the initcap function return "text",
Is this a "short" text like a varchar
Or a long text like a clob,memo etc?"

and I answered that question.

> Are you using this statement with the ODBC driver?

No, as I said previously I do not have an ODBC set up available at the
moment.

> (Output from the ODBC driver may be different format then for pg admin etc).
>
> SELECT initcap('ABCDEF')::varchar vv FROM dual WHERE 1=0
> I am expending a "character varying" or "varchar" output from the sql statement
> But the I getting the postgres "text"
> If the SQL is changed to return records, SELECT initcap('ABCDEF')::varchar vv FROM dual
> The output is varchar
>
> So
> SELECT initcap('ABCDEF')::varchar vv FROM dual
> Works, returns varchar
> So the issues is with:
> SELECT initcap('ABCDEF')::varchar vv FROM dual WHERE 1=0
> Returning  "text", sqllongvar a different type then above,
> Does not change with any unknownsize or datetype setting in ODBC driver.

As I recall this is eventually ending up in a VFP application. So where
are you actually seeing the different behavior, in the app or somewhere
before the app?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com