Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?

От Andrew Dunstan
Тема Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?
Дата
Re: Sending out a request for more buildfarm animals?
Список pgsql-hackers
On 05/08/2014 04:09 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Andrew Dunstan wrote:
>
>> Here is what I do on my FreeBSD VM. I have 2 animals, nightjar and
>> friarbird. They have the same buildroot. friarbird is set up to
>> build with CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS, building just HEAD and just testing
>> C locale; nightjar builds all branches we are interested in and
>> tests locale cs_CZ.utf8 in addition to C.
> So nightjar would build frequently almost all the time, but as soon as
> friarbird is doing a CLOBBER run nightjar would just stop running?  That
> seems a bit odd, given that the CLOBBER runs take a lot longer than
> non-CLOBBER ones.  (I guess it makes sense if you don't want to devote
> double CPU time now and then to running the CLOBBER animal, but other
> than that there doesn't seem to be a point to setting it up like that.)

Why? This was actually discussed when I set this up and Tom opined that
a once a day run with CLOBBER_CACHE_ALWAYS was plenty. It takes about 4
/12 hours. The rest of the time nightjar runs. friarbird runs a bit
after midnight US East Coast time, which is generally a slowish time for
commits, so not running nightjar at that time seems perfectly reasonable.

I really don't get what your objection to the setup is. And no, I don't
want them to run concurrently, I'd rather spread out the cycles.

cheers

andrew