Re: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: 9.4 Proposal: Initdb creates a single table
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 04/24/2014 10:00 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>
>> This is not our fault, and I don't want us to get caught up in trying
>> to fix a fundamentally broken concept --- which is what a generic
>> "uuidserial" API would be.  If you try to paper over the difficulties
>> here, they'll just bite you on the rear someday.
>
> But we have non-colliding generation technology for OIDs in system
> catalogs.  We could try to reuse the idea in a UUID generator: grab one
> value, try to insert; if it fails generate a new one, lather, rinse,
> repeat.
>
> This would make uuidserial not quite as simple as SERIAL pseudotype, of
> course.

Tangentally related to this, I believe that PostgreSQL may be the only
current user of the uuid-ossp code at this point.  So we're going to end
up maintaining it for the UUID contrib module, or dropping that module.

Regardless, this all sounds like speculative 9.5ish conversation, and
only vaguely related to Simon's original proposal.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.