How to find calculated CRC checksum of pg_controldata

От Matthew Rantala
Тема How to find calculated CRC checksum of pg_controldata
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Hello,

Question: Is there a way to obtain the calculated CRC checksum for
pg_controldata from the command line?

I'm asking this because we had our database get wiped out, and for a
variety of reasons, did not have a clean backup of the data directory. I
did, however, have a complete set of WAL files for the database from the
origin of the instance's life. I was able to use these to restore the
database into a new database that I engineered look like a copy of the
original by editing the pg_control file (and first log file) by changing
the Database system identifier and the CRC checksum.

Finding the correct CRC checksum, however, was a pain. I downloaded the
code and modified pg_controldata.exe so it would display the file CRC
and calculated checksums so I would know what the correct value was.

I'm in the process of documenting what I did and it would make the whole
process much easier if there is a way to determine the CRC checksum
without having to dig into the source code. I am currently using 9.2.6.

Thanks for any info,

Matt, who was extremely lucky that I initiated WAL logging at the very
beginning.

--

Matthew J Rantala, GISP
Minnesota Geological Survey