Command line struggles

От Philippe Salama
Тема Command line struggles
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Of course now, I am in psql command line, and trying in vain to make the examples work in "Beginning Databasses with POSTGRESQL" by Matthew and Stones.

I can type \H and see help
I can type \? and read the list that results, of commands

I see a prompt template1-#

yet when I type at that prompt

createuser

AHAAAA wait! Light dawns on marblehead.

A more careful reading of the textbook reveals that createuser.exe is a program in \program files\postgresql\8.2\bin

If I click on that createuser.exe icon in explorer, it prompts me for the name of the new user, the password, are they superuser.

If at the dos prompt, in \8.2\bin  I type createuser -U postgres -P neil

then, it also works, slightly differently than clicking the Icon, and echos something about a new role.

But, at least, I surmounted this hurdle, and can make some more progress with the textbook.

Hmmm... it tells me to also create a user named rick, who can create databases, but does not have permission to create new users.  I am not certain how to do this, since the createuser program does not respond exactly as the book describes

Shoaib Mir <shoaibmir@gmail.com> wrote:
Glad to hear that it worked out good for you :-)

Thanks,
---------
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB (www.enterprisedb.com)