Re: gaussian distribution pgbench

От KONDO Mitsumasa
Тема Re: gaussian distribution pgbench
Дата
Re: gaussian distribution pgbench  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
(2014/03/17 18:02), Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 03/17/2014 10:40 AM, KONDO Mitsumasa wrote:
>> By the way, you seem to want to remove --gaussian=NUM and --exponential=NUM
>> command options. Can you tell me the objective reason? I think pgbench is the
>> benchmark test on PostgreSQL and default benchmark is TPC-B-like benchmark.
>> It is written in documents, and default benchmark wasn't changed by my patch.
>> So we need not remove command options, and they are one of the variety of
>> benchmark options. Maybe you have something misunderstanding about my patch...
>
> There is an infinite number of variants of the TPC-B test that we could include
> in pgbench. If we start adding every one of them, we're quickly going to have
> hundreds of options to choose the workload. I'd like to keep pgbench simple.
> These two new test variants, gaussian and exponential, are not that special that
> they'd deserve to be included in the program itself.
Well, I add only two options, and they are major distribution that are seen in
real database system than uniform distiribution. I'm afraid, I think you are too
worried and it will not be added hundreds of options. And pgbench is still simple.

> pgbench already has a mechanism for running custom scripts, in which you can
> specify whatever workload you want. Let's use that. If it's missing something you
> need to specify the workload you want, let's enhance the script language.
I have not seen user who is using pgbench custom script very much. And gaussian
and exponential distribution are much better to measure the real system
perfomance, so I'd like to use it command option. In now pgbench, we can only
measure about database size, but it isn't realistic situation. We want to forcast
the required system from calculating the size of hot spot or distirbution of
access pettern.

I'd realy like to include it on my heart:)  Please...

Regards,
--
Mitsumasa KONDO
NTT Open Source Software Center

От: KONDO Mitsumasa
Сообщение: Re: gaussian distribution pgbench
От: Fujii Masao
Сообщение: Re: gaussian distribution pgbench