Re: Timezone information

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Timezone information
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 02/19/2014 02:07 PM, Dev Kumkar wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 3:26 AM, Andrew Sullivan <ajs@crankycanuck.ca
> <mailto:ajs@crankycanuck.ca>> wrote:
>
>     On Thu, Feb 20, 2014 at 03:22:15AM +0530, Dev Kumkar wrote:
>      >
>      > Hmm. Missed one observation here, created a test table with timestamp
>      > column of type 'default current_timestamp'.
>      > When the query is executed from JDBC then it stores OS specific
>     local time
>      > into this column.
>
>     Probably the JDBC driver is setting its TimeZone.  Really, try it:
>
>     SET TimeZone="UTC";
>     SELECT now();
>
>     SET TimeZone="EST5EDT";
>     SELECT now();
>
>     and so on.  Try selecting from your table, too, and you will discover
>     that the time zone of the timestamps changes.  If you're used to
>     certain other RDBMSes, this mode of functioning will be unusual, but
>     that really is how it works.
>

> Yes had tried this earlier and it works as expected.
>
> I think I missed that observation earlier and then was looking to set
> timezone in postgreSQL.conf which could ultimately resolve this.
> But better is to set the TimeZone. Now haven't done anything special but
> JDBC is working with setting TimeZone and ODBC not. So what should I
> look from here now?

Each driver will have its own behavior. For an explanation of the JDBC
behavior see here:

http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/4B2F2CED.10400@opencloud.com

Per Andrews posts, the least surprise behavior is to explicitly set the
client time zone. Then you control what is being seen/used.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com