Re: Links for upgraders

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: Links for upgraders
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
On 02/12/2014 03:40 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I think it would be even better to link directly to the migration notes,
>> not to the top-level section of the release notes.  I suggest to add a
>> link target like
>
>>    <sect2 id="release-9-2-4-migration">
>>     <title>Migration to Version 9.2.4</title>
>
>> and then link to that.
>
> I experimented with this and didn't really find that it improved the
> browsing experience any compared to what Vik did.  It might be noticeably
> better if we had any significant amount of text above the "migration"
> section, but we never do.
>
> I'd prefer *not* to add yet another place where the version number
> has to be manually adjusted each time one makes a new release-notes
> section.  (This is a task we've failed at a few times in the past ;-),
> so I'm not just hypothecating.)  So I'm -1 for this unless there's
> really, really strong contrary opinion.

Not to hijack the thread but after a decade and a half of writing
release notes one would think that we would have a parser that goes
through and automatically updates the version number :P

jD

--
Command Prompt, Inc. - http://www.commandprompt.com/  509-416-6579
High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC, @cmdpromptinc