Re: Cannot change archive_command with a reload

От CS DBA
Тема Re: Cannot change archive_command with a reload
Дата
Re: Cannot change archive_command with a reload
Список pgsql-admin
On 2/2/14, 9:51 AM, Raghavendra wrote:

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 9:56 PM, CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> wrote:
On 2/2/14, 9:19 AM, Raghavendra wrote:

On Sun, Feb 2, 2014 at 9:22 PM, CS DBA <cs_dba@consistentstate.com> wrote:
Hi all;

we have a cluster running with an archive command that is failing.
I tried a reload and the value does not change

Reload with new value won't work until you fix the failing archive_command.

Eg:-

ps -ef | grep arch
postgres 29743 29736  0 Jan30 ?        00:00:00 postgres: archiver process   failed on 00000001000000010000003D

and it might cause same error you are experiencing as

postgres=# select set_config('archive_command','cp %p /opt/PostgreSQL/9.3/a93/%f',false);
ERROR:  parameter "archive_command" cannot be changed now

So, fix the archive_command first and then give new changes.

Tried a set_config and I get this error:

select set_config ('archive_command', 'cp %p /data/wal_tmp/%f && mv /data/wal_tmp/%f /data/wal/&f', 'false');
ERROR:  parameter "archive_command" cannot be changed now

If your archive_command pointing to "/data/wal_tmp" then please ensure that directory exists there. If that directory not present then archive process fail to copy the transaction logs. When archiver process in failed state you cannot apply any new changes to the archive_command it will fail.

Also, am surprised to see "mv" command, basically the archive_command meant to have a copies of pg_xlogs but not any OS related directory movements.

we want to copy the file to /data/wal_tmp, then do a mv to /data/wal so our process that ships a copy to the standby servers never see's a partial file (since it watches /data/wal)

'cp %p /data/wal_tmp/%f && mv /data/wal_tmp/%f /data/wal/&f',

Seems you are missing something here, you have two action commands in your archive_command. One is copy "cp" and another is "mv" move. Once you are copying file to the directory you are moving that entire directory and not keeping the place available for archiver process to copy next file in that location on its next arrival.

Because, every transaction logs first go to archive directory as you mentioned "cp %p /data/wal_tmp/%f". Next it will execute the other command too since its one command string, i.e, move "mv /data/wal_tmp/%f /data/wal&f".

Hence, you need to have unique place for archives and it should not be disturbed in any case. If you want to ship a copy to standby server then have another directory with same set of copies at OS level.

--Raghav

My issue is the &f instead of %f at the end.  However here's the intent:

if the first command is true (cp %p /data/wal_tmp/%f) then I want the second command to execute (mv /data/wal_tmp/%f /data/wal/%f)

since both directories are in the same file system the mv is immediate so any process watching for files to show up in /data/wal will never see a partial file

Сообщение: Re: Cannot change archive_command with a reload
Сообщение: Re: Cannot change archive_command with a reload