general questions

От CS DBA
Тема general questions
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Hi All;

I recently ran into the following, any thoughts?

Thanks in advance...

1) \d and schema's
- I setup 2 schema's (sch_a and sch_b)
- I added both schema's to my search_path
- I created 2 tables:  sch_a.test_tab and sch_b.test_tab

If I do a \d with no parameters I only see the first test_tab table
based on the order of my search_path.
I get that any queries will use the first found table if I don't specify
the schemaname but
if I'm looking for a full list (i.e. \d with no parameters) I would
think I should get a full list back

Is this intentional?

2) SET work_mem = x
It seems that any user can run set work_mem = x in a session. While this
is keen for
folks who know what they are doing, it may not be so keen for folks who
tend to do
foolish things, especially if a team has several of these types of folks
on board
i.e. I can Imagine 5 devs all setting work_mem to 5GB each and running
giant runaway
queries all on a dev server with 8GB of RAM.

Is there a way to restrict this?

3) Can I force unaligned mode AND no wrap for psql output?

4) Is there a way to know for sure ifa sql file was run in single
transaction mode (after the fact), i.e. something in the logs?

5) Is there a query that will show me the actual prepared SQL text for a
prepared query?