Re: How to do fast performance timing

От Jim Nasby
Тема Re: How to do fast performance timing
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 12/9/13 7:33 AM, Benedikt Grundmann wrote:
> At Jane Street we have recently spend a lot of time trying to get a fast gettimeofday.  I saw lots of references in
variouspostgres hacker threads related to a lack of such a facility so ....

> The culmination of those efforts can be read here:
>
> https://github.com/janestreet/core/blob/master/lib/time_stamp_counter.mli
> and
>
> https://github.com/janestreet/core/blob/master/lib/time_stamp_counter.ml
>
> it's all OCaml but the code is mostly imperative and very well documented.  In particular we made an effort to
documentour assumption.  There are a few which are ocaml specific.  But a lot of the lessons we have learned here
shouldbe applicable to postgres.

Looks interesting. I think this isn't nearly as big an issue in Postgres as it used to be, but I think there's also
thingswe've been avoiding because of the overhead. IE: using IO response time to determine if something came from cache
ornot.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net