Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO

От KONDO Mitsumasa
Тема Re: Why we are going to have to go DirectIO
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
(2013/12/04 11:28), Tatsuo Ishii wrote:
>> Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> writes:
>>
>>> So in order to get *testing* we need to pay somebody. But to build a great
>>> database server, we can rely on volunteer efforts or sponsorship from
>>> companies who are interested in moving the project forward?
>>
>> And even more to the point, volunteers to reinvent the kernel I/O stack
>> can be found on every street corner?  And those volunteers won't need any
>> test scaffolding to be sure that *their* version never has performance
>> regressions?  (Well, no, they won't, because no such thing will ever be
>> built.  But we do need better test scaffolding for real problems.)
>
> Can we avoid the Linux kernel problem by simply increasing our shared
> buffer size, say up to 80% of memory?
It will be swap more easier.

I think that we should use latest system-calls in Linux which are like
posix_fadvise(), fallocate() and sync_file_range() etc, when we use linux
buffered IO. Hoevere, PostgreSQL doesn't use these system-call a lots.
Especially, I think that checkpoint algorithm is very ugly..

Regards,
--
Mitsumasa KONDO
NTT Open Source Software Center