Re: Altering parent table breaks child table defaults

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Altering parent table breaks child table defaults
Дата
Список pgsql-general

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/19227920/altering-a-parent-table-in-postgresql-8-4-breaks-child-table-defaults

> The problem: In Postgresql 8.4 (not tested on other versions), if table
> `temp_person_two` inherits from`temp_person`, default column values on
> the child table are ignored if the *parent* table is altered.
>
> How to replicate (these don't need to be temporary tables. I made them
> temporary for your cut-n-paste convenience):
>
> First, create table and a child table. The child table should have one
> column that has a default value.
>
>      CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temp_person (
>          person_id SERIAL,
>          name      VARCHAR
>      );
>
>      CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE temp_person_two (
>          has_default character varying(4) DEFAULT 'en'::character
> varying NOT NULL
>      ) INHERITS (temp_person);
>
> Next, create a trigger on the parent table that copies its data to the
> child table (I know this appears like bad design, but this is a minimal
> test case to show the problem).
>
>      CREATE FUNCTION temp_person_insert() RETURNS trigger
>      LANGUAGE plpgsql
>      AS '
>      BEGIN
>      INSERT INTO temp_person_two VALUES ( NEW.* );
>      RETURN NULL;
>      END;
>      ';
>
>      CREATE TRIGGER temp_person_insert_trigger
>          BEFORE INSERT ON temp_person
>          FOR EACH ROW
>          EXECUTE PROCEDURE temp_person_insert();
>
> Then insert data into parent and select data from child. The data should
> be correct.
>
>      INSERT INTO temp_person (name) VALUES ('ovid');
>      SELECT * FROM temp_person_two;
>       person_id | name | has_default
>      -----------+------+-------------
>               1 | ovid | en
>      (1 row )
>

> Finally, alter the parent table by adding a new, unrelated column.
> Attempt to insert data and watch a "not-null constraint" violation occur:
>
>      ALTER TABLE temp_person ADD column foo text;
>      INSERT INTO temp_person(name) VALUES ('Corinna');
>      ERROR:  null value in column "has_default" violates not-null constraint
>      CONTEXT:  SQL statement "INSERT INTO temp_person_two VALUES (  $1 .* )"
>      PL/pgSQL function "temp_person_insert" line 2 at SQL statement

What happens if you do?:

INSERT INTO temp_person(name, has_default) VALUES ('Corinna', DEFAULT)

My guess is the problem is the expansion of NEW.* is leading to
VALUES('Corina', NULL)

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com

Сообщение: Re: oids on disk not in pg_class
Сообщение: Re: oids on disk not in pg_class