Re: libpq compatibility policy across versions

От Sebastien FLAESCH
Тема Re: libpq compatibility policy across versions
Дата
Re: libpq compatibility policy across versions  ("Daniel Verite" <daniel@manitou-mail.org>)
Список pgsql-interfaces
Thank you Pavel,

On 10/01/2013 02:28 PM, Pavel Golub wrote:> Yes, you should use the latest client library. It's compatible with> all
priorversions.

Just to be clear:

We deliver our product without any PostgreSQL lib included.

Our product installs beside an existing PostgreSQL install, typically
on an application server, where both PostgreSQL client and server are
installed in the same directory.

Imagine for ex a machine with PostgreSQL 8.3 installed.

I am asking how I must compile my source code and how to link, to build
my binary, to be sure that it's compatible with PostgreSQL 8.3, and
any in fact any existing PostgreSQL versions.

Can I for ex, use the V 9.3 headers and library on my dev platform
and then deliver this binary for any PostgreSQL version?

In other words, is the PostgreSQL client C API backward compatible?

Today the lib is stamped with 5 (libpq.so.5), will this never change
in future versions?

Is there a way to detect dynamically the version of the PostgreSQL server?

Thanks!
Seb