Re: Apache2 PostgreSQL http authentication

От Jeffrey Brower
Тема Re: Apache2 PostgreSQL http authentication
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
Success!

First you need to make sure that the blastwave package for apache
development is on your machine.  Use the blastwave command:

pkg-get -i apache2_devel

This gives you the headers you are missing from the apache binary install
(as well as loading the libtool etc that the apxs command will use.

Now go to http://www.giuseppetanzilli.it/mod_auth_pgsql2/ and download the
source.  I put it in /Documents/mod_auth_pgsql2/mod_auth_pgsql-2.0.3

Extract it in place (or you can move it someplace else, but you will have to
change where you execute the next command.  This is the one that does the
business of compiling, installing and updating your httpd.conf file all at
once.  I have Solaris SunStudio installed so it works rather neatly.  I have
the Blastwave PostgreSQL package installed at it's default location too - so
this should work for you as long as you have the same packages installed.
Change directories to where ever you extracted mod_auth_pgsql and enter this
command:

/opt/csw/apache2/sbin/apxs -i -a -c -I /opt/csw/postgresql/include -L
/opt/csw/postgresql/lib -lpq mod_auth_pgsql.c

If this completed OK you are pretty much installed.  Now you need to set up
your authentication.  This had a speed bump in it too.  You need to shut
down the basic authentication from apache if you are going to use the
PostgreSQL authentication.  This is not in any of the manuals but it seems
to be required because it only works correctly this way.  More on that
later.

In your httpd.conf you will need to add your configuration.  You can also
use .htaccess but I don't like using that because it is yet another file the
apache server looks for on every request in every directory.  My test
configuration (which works) is:

<Directory "/path/to/apache2/htdocs/secretstuff">
  AuthName "My PostgreSQL Authenticator"
  AuthType Basic
  AuthBasicAuthoritative Off
  Auth_PG_host localhost
  Auth_PG_port 5432
  Auth_PG_user mypostgresuserid
  Auth_PG_pwd  mypostgrespassword
  Auth_PG_database mydatabasename
  Auth_PG_pwd_table mytablename
  Auth_PG_uid_field myuseridfieldname
  Auth_PG_pwd_field mypasswordfieldname
  Auth_PG_encrypted on
  Auth_PG_hash_type CRYPT
  Auth_PG_pwd_whereclause " and myaccountstatus = 'Active' "
  <LIMIT GET POST>
    require valid-user
  </LIMIT>
</Directory>

And that is it.  A few notes are in order.  The "AuthBasicAuthoritative Off"
needs to be there (this is the one that is not specified as required in any
manual I can find).  If you use plain text passwords in the database (so
that you can do things like send them to users if they forget their
password), you will want to use "Auth_PG_encrypted off" and remove the
"Auth_PG_hash_type CRYPT" (or what ever password encryption you use).

There is also a "Auth_PG_cache_passwords" setting you can use in case the
system gets a lot of traffic and the lookups slow things down.

I hope this helps someone searching for the same solutions.  This really
does work well.

   Jeff Brower