Re: [HACKERS] int8 type -- call for porting results!

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: [HACKERS] int8 type -- call for porting results!
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
>> I wonder if we can try enabling int8's for all gcc compilers? The only
>> machines that might break on are other 64-bit machines (like some
>> SGI's?).

> Yep, should work.

Autoconf, my boys, think autoconf.  This sort of guess-and-hope
configuration is exactly what autoconf was invented to prevent.

I'll gin up a few lines of autoconf test code and send them in.
I'd suggest we say that the autoconf test will deliver the
following symbols in config.h:

HAVE_LONG_INT_64    # defined if "long int" works and is 8 bytes
HAVE_LONG_LONG_INT_64    # defined if "long long int" works and is 8 bytes

Are there any other possibilities to worry about?

How hard should the test code try to make sure that int64 actually
works?  Judging from Tom's comments, we'd better try a multiply and
a divide at least.