Re: postgres crashes on insert in 40 different threads

От Stéphane Schildknecht
Тема Re: postgres crashes on insert in 40 different threads
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Le 19/08/2013 10:07, Dzmitry a écrit :
> Hey folks,
>  I have postgres server running on ubuntu 12,Intel Xeon 8 CPUs 29 GB RAM.
> With following settings:
> max_connections = 550
> shared_buffers = 12GB
> temp_buffers = 8MB
> max_prepared_transactions = 0
> work_mem = 50MB
> maintenance_work_mem = 1GB
> fsync = on
> wal_buffers = 16MB
> commit_delay = 50
> commit_siblings = 7
> checkpoint_segments = 32
> checkpoint_completion_target = 0.9
> effective_cache_size = 22GB
> autovacuum = on
> autovacuum_vacuum_threshold = 1800
> autovacuum_analyze_threshold = 900
>
> I am doing a lot of writes to DB in 40 different threads – so every thread
> check if record exists – if not => insert record, if exists => update record.
> During this update, my disk IO almost always – 100% and sometimes it crash my
> DB with following message:
>
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC LOG:  checkpointer process (PID 28354) was terminated
> by signal 9: Killed
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC LOG:  terminating any other active server processes
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of
> another server process
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server
> process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server
> process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to
> the database and repeat your command.
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of
> another server process
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server
> process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server
> process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to
> the database and repeat your command.
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of
> another server process
> 2013-08-19 03:18:00 UTC DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server
> process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server
> process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.
>
> My DB size is not very big – 169GB.
>
> Anyone know how can I get rid of DB crash  ?
>

> Thanks,
>   Dzmitry

The fact that the checkpointer was killed -9 let me think the OOMKiller has
detected you were out of memory.

Could that be the case?

12GB of shared_buffers on a 29Gb box is too high. You should try to lower that
value to 6GB, for instance.
550*50MB, that is 27GB of RAM that PostgreSQL could try to adress.

I can imagine your system is swapping a lot, and you exhaust swap memory before
crash.

Regards,

--
Stéphane Schildknecht
Loxodata - Conseil, expertise et formations