Re: --with-libedit-preferred is bad design

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: --with-libedit-preferred is bad design
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 07/12/2013 06:31 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> I think the current --with-libedit-preferred should go away, and be
>> replaced by a --with-libedit option which throws an error if libedit
>> isn't found.
>
> I'm not sure that will work well on systems where libedit masquerades
> as readline...

Ah, was that the thinking behind that?  In that case, maybe we could put
a warning in the config.log that libedit wasn't found?  Right now,
there's nothing.

> TBH, given the number of bugs we've hit in libedit, encouraging its use
> isn't something we should put effort into anyway.  Or is it just that
> Apple seems incapable of finding non-broken versions to ship?

That would hardly be only true of libedit, on Apple.

It's also broken on some Red Hat versions, last I checked.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.