Re: Website Redo Kick Off

От dmp
Тема Re: Website Redo Kick Off
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> On 10.07.2013 18:54, dmp wrote:
>> It has been for sometime the desire to redo the website. The main goals
>> being:
>>
>> 1. Make the Site Easier To Maintain.
>> 2. Allow Others to Contribute/Manage the Updates.
>>
>> I have offered to perform the work and have done some reviewing of the
>> past history of the discussions on this subject.
>
> Hooray!
>
>> Help: (Narrow Options)
>>
>> * If you know of a scripting engine that is not listed below please
>> reply.
>>
>> * If you have experience with one listed please comment, seems good/not
>> so good and the language used if possible.
>>
>> * If you have a few minutes please consider randomly selecting one on the
>> list to review so that you could let us know if it may be a good
>> solution.
>
> I don't expect very frequent updates, or very many people updating it,
> so I think the most important criteria is low barrier to maintain it.

So two goals that are not just quantitative, but with priority, #1 over #2
as you deduce.

> It should be easy for anyone to jump in and submit changes. It's probably
> good to pick something that's popular, even if that isn't the best
> alternative otherwise, just to make sure the tool is widely available in
> distributions that people use and that there are people out there with
> experience with it.
>
> I reworked the ODBC driver's website recently. I just did it with plain
> HTML files, stored in a git repository. That was very simple. I don't
> necessarily recommend you to do it that way, but it works. If you come
> up with something better, I'll probably copy that to psqlodbc :-).
>
> (I don't personally have any opinion on which of the static site
> generators to use, I haven't used any of them. I'm sure they're all good
> enough for our needs)

Dave, indicated to me the update to the ODBC driver site and I have reviewed.

I would envision that files used for generation could be in git, so therefore
helping with goal #2.

I'm not so confident that anyone of them would probably meet the needs of the
project. Heikki, perhaps you could take a few minutes to review one of them. My
cursorly review of some of them indicated that they are more oriented toward
a single page blog, rather then a multi-menued site.

In asking others to review I do not mean to install and try just look over
the documentation/information and if a sample site(s) have been indicated
visit.

danap.