Re: JDBC 4 Compliance

От dmp
Тема Re: JDBC 4 Compliance
Дата
Список pgsql-jdbc
As we have all seen Oracle is pushing forward with the releases of Java. I
myself in the last few months have received notices from Oracle of Java 6
no longer supported, updates to fix security issues with Java 7, and now a
push for Java 8. While a majority of developers are I think comfortable
with Java 6 and argued that it has only been out a few years that will not
last given the accelerated hyper release activities of projects. Look at
Firefox.

The issue here I think is the pushing forward of the pgJDBC, it feels like
it's in maintenance mode. pgJDBC is the official supported driver for PostgreSQL
right?

Now though it appears to have at least one fork, if not multiple. What the
project should be trying to do is bring in new developers like Kevin to work
on the existing pgJDBC driver to bring it in to compliance with the new Java
releases.

I don't know how the pgJDBC project is going to accomplish this, but if
someone could indicated to me how Java Version 7, JDBC4-(4)/JDBC4.1-(4.1),
is referenced by in the code I could try to at least resolve this one issue
by reviewing the existing code and Kevin's to create a patch. Perhaps from
this review IS_GENERATEDCOLUMN could be at least defined if not already so.

danap.
Dana M. Proctor
MyJSQLView Project Manager