Re: Redesigning checkpoint_segments

От Heikki Linnakangas
Тема Re: Redesigning checkpoint_segments
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 06.06.2013 15:31, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Heikki Linnakangas<hlinnakangas@vmware.com>  wrote:

>>> Then I suggest we not use exactly that name.  I feel quite sure we
>>> would get complaints from people if something labeled as "max" was
>>> exceeded -- especially if they set that to the actual size of a
>>> filesystem dedicated to WAL files.
>>
>> You're probably right. Any suggestions for a better name?
>> wal_size_soft_limit?
>
> After reading later posts on the thread, I would be inclined to
> support making it a hard limit and adapting the behavior to match.

Well, that's a lot more difficult to implement. And even if we have a
hard limit, I think many people would still want to have a soft limit
that would trigger a checkpoint, but would not stop WAL writes from
happening. So what would we call that?

I'd love to see a hard limit too, but I see that as an orthogonal feature.

How about calling the (soft) limit "checkpoint_wal_size"? That goes well
together with checkpoint_timeout, meaning that a checkpoint will be
triggered if you're about to exceed the given size.

> I'm also concerned about the "spin up" from idle to high activity.
> Perhaps a "min" should also be present, to mitigate repeated short
> checkpoint cycles for "bursty" environments?

With my proposal, you wouldn't get repeated short checkpoint cycles with
bursts. The checkpoint interval would be controlled by
checkpoint_timeout, and checkpoint_wal_size. If there is a lot of
activity, then checkpoints will happen more frequently, as
checkpoint_wal_size is reached sooner. But it would not depend on the
activity in previous checkpoint cycles, only the current one, so it
would not make a difference if you have a continuously high load, or a
bursty one.

The history would matter for the calculation of how many segments to
preallocate/recycle, however. Under the proposal, that would be
calculated separately from checkpoint_wal_size, and for that we'd use
some kind of a moving average of how many segments were used in previous
cycles. A min setting might be useful for that. We could also try to
make WAL file creation cheaper, ie. by using posix_fallocate(), as was
proposed in another thread, and doing it in bgwriter or walwriter. That
would make it less important to get the estimate right, from a
performance point of view, although you'd still want to get it right to
avoid running out of disk space (having the segments preallocated
ensures that they are available when needed).

- Heikki