Re: feature request - automatic SSH tunnels

От Darren Duncan
Тема Re: feature request - automatic SSH tunnels
Дата
Список pgadmin-support
On 2013.04.05 11:40 AM, Alexander Yerenkow wrote:
> Darren in whish OS your users are working currently?
> And ssh passwords you see them as saved or as entered at each conect?
>
> Regards, Alexander Yerenkow

Thanks for your quick response.

We have a mixed-platform environment, but in particular I and several others use
Mac OS X, version 10.6.8 in my case.

Currently I actually do this, having a block like this in my .ssh/config :
    Host foohost        Hostname some.longer.domain        Port 22        User mysshuser        IdentityFile
~/.ssh/id_rsa       ForwardAgent yes        LocalForward 5434 someprivatehost:5432

And so, before starting up pgAdmin, I have to do this manually on the command line:
    ssh foohost

In pgAdmin, the Server -> Properties cite localhost/5434 as Host/Port then the
usual database name and username.

The absolute minimum that I would like from an enhanced pgAdmin is that I would
not have to do the "ssh foohost" each time I start the program or a connection.

The more ideal thing is that I could just plug the 'some.longer.domain' and '22'
and 'mysshuser' and the identity file or password or whatever into pgAdmin.

In particular, users should not have to specify the local port number of the
tunnel eg 5434, pgAdmin should just be able to pick an available high-numbered
port itself on each run.

Something else that MySQL Workbench does on Mac OS X is utilize the operating
system KeyChain feature so that remembered passwords, if any are encrypted.  But
remembering passwords in a non-plaintext manner would be a separate task for
pgAdmin if it were taken on, and may be more operating-system specific.

Not having to manually run some other setup command prior to each opening of
pgAdmin is the minimal request.

Thank you.

-- Darren Duncan