Re: State of the art re: group default privileges

От Rob Sargent
Тема Re: State of the art re: group default privileges
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 03/20/2013 02:24 PM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>>> I'm running into this exact situation:
>>>
>>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAG1_KcBFM0e2buUG=o7OjQ_KtadrzDGd45jU7Gke3dUZ0Sz92g@mail.gmail.com
>>>
>>> We really need to be able to have a group of developers who can create
>>> things and modify each others' stuff[1]. Is it still more or less
>>> impossible?
>>>
>>> The workaround that comes to mind is a script to enumerate all
>>> "developers" and then set the defaults one at a time. This breaks
>>> however when we add a new developer -- he can't access any of the
>>> existing stuff.
>>
>> I don't understand.  Why doesn't alice do a "set role dev_user" before
>> creating the table?  Then, the table owner is dev_user, not alice, and
>> default privileges for dev_user apply.  In fact you needn't run ALTER
>> DEFAULT PRIVILEGES at all, because dev_user will be owner of the
>> objects, and both alice and bob have that role.
>>

> It comes down to a separation of concerns. These developers shouldn't
> (and really, don't) know/care what the privileges should be. They don't
> know that they're even in a group. Why should they?
>
> As with filesystem permissions, the admin should be able to set this all
> up (correctly) and forget about it.

What's your process?  First I've heard of a group of dev's ignorant of
permission _and_ trusted to change things in a db which affect others.

If they are in a group, can that not define the role and go from there
with std permission layouts?

Are these mostly DDL changes?  Might want to look at migrations tools
(MyBatis, flyway and others)

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Fast Shutdown (SIGINT) results in a CHECKPOINT...
От: David Rees
Сообщение: Re: Can't terminate hung COPY