Re: State of the art re: group default privileges

От Michael Orlitzky
Тема Re: State of the art re: group default privileges
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 03/20/2013 04:12 PM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Michael Orlitzky wrote:
>> I'm running into this exact situation:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAG1_KcBFM0e2buUG=o7OjQ_KtadrzDGd45jU7Gke3dUZ0Sz92g@mail.gmail.com
>>
>> We really need to be able to have a group of developers who can create
>> things and modify each others' stuff[1]. Is it still more or less
>> impossible?
>>
>> The workaround that comes to mind is a script to enumerate all
>> "developers" and then set the defaults one at a time. This breaks
>> however when we add a new developer -- he can't access any of the
>> existing stuff.
>
> I don't understand.  Why doesn't alice do a "set role dev_user" before
> creating the table?  Then, the table owner is dev_user, not alice, and
> default privileges for dev_user apply.  In fact you needn't run ALTER
> DEFAULT PRIVILEGES at all, because dev_user will be owner of the
> objects, and both alice and bob have that role.

It comes down to a separation of concerns. These developers shouldn't
(and really, don't) know/care what the privileges should be. They don't
know that they're even in a group. Why should they?

As with filesystem permissions, the admin should be able to set this all
up (correctly) and forget about it.