Re: incorrect data type in function

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: incorrect data type in function
Дата
Список pgsql-docs
rapg12@gmail.com writes:
> The data types in the function parameter and the returned type were seems
> typed incorrectly or missed typo ... in ORACLE there is no varchar, but
> there is varchar2

According to what I can find on the web, Oracle treats varchar and
varchar2 as interchangeable type names, but they say they might someday
fix varchar to be spec-compliant about distinguishing null from empty
strings.  (I'll believe that when I see it...)

So our examples are not wrong, but nonetheless this is a good suggestion
because changing them creates an opportunity to talk about the general
porting problem of needing to translate Oracle type names to Postgres.
I've pushed a patch based on that:

http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=23f11dc21b0135702a2852aac927bdc4f9d69cef

Thanks for the suggestion!