Re: The case for version number inflation

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: The case for version number inflation
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
Selena,

> This seems like a case to be made for Postgres to respond more elegantly to
> this situation, possibly by converting blocks on the fly to the newer
> version of the database for writes and being ok with reading previous
> versions of blocks, or simply not writing data to the filesystem when the
> versions don't match.

It's on the TODO list.  It's just really hard to implement, especially
if you consider the combinational challenge.

Postgres won't start up if the binaries don't match the data ... unless
someone has written a script which replaces the pg_control file :-(

>> (And please, let's not even think about using a cutesy naming scheme -
>> "Excited Elephant", "Flirty Foreign-Key", "Grumpy Groupby" etcetera ;) )

I *really* don't want to see the graphic for Excited Elephant.

On the other hand, I think I already have a graphic for Grumpy Groupby ...

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.

Сообщение: Re: The case for version number inflation
Сообщение: Re: The case for version number inflation