Re: Connection with server dropping out

От Adrian Klaver
Тема Re: Connection with server dropping out
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 02/18/2013 10:37 PM, Bastiaan Olij wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm hoping someone could help me with this issue, not sure if the
> general mailing list is the right place so apologies if this needs to be
> directed else where.
>
> We have several clients who are experiencing disconnects to our hosted
> postgres server. From the server side we simply see a "could not receive
> data from client: Connection reset by peer" error.
>
> On the client side we generally see a "could not receive data from
> server: The system cannot find the path specified.".
>
> Googling around the indication seems to be that a firewall or router in
> between the client and the server may be dropping the connection
> considering it inactive. We have setup keep alives (currently every 5
> seconds as a test) and that has improved the situation but as our client
> application is a single threaded application and it is possible for it
> to be processing data and thus not respond the connection may still be
> deemed inactive.
>
> My first question is, if it is the keep alive itself (currently set to
> 10 retries every 5 seconds) decides that the connection is dead, would
> we see a different message in the logs?
>
> My second question is, does anyone know what the most likely culprit is
> and been able to change the configuration there?
>
> This is on a Postgres 8.4 server running on CentOS but we've also
> experienced this in relation to a Postgres 9.1 server

The part that has me a little confused is:

"... The system cannot find the path specified."

This looks more like a path issue than a connection issue.

What is the client program ?

What OS(es) is it running on?

Is it just fetching data from the server or is it also running a remote
program?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@gmail.com