Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)

От Josh Berkus
Тема Re: CF3+4 (was Re: Parallel query execution)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 01/23/2013 09:08 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2013-01-23 11:44:29 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 22, 2013 at 1:15 AM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>>> Yeah, and a lot more fairly-new developers who don't understand all the
>>> connections in the existing system.  Let me just push back a bit here:
>>> based on the amount of time I've had to spend fixing bugs over the past
>>> five months, 9.2 was our worst release ever.  I don't like that trend,
>>> and I don't want to see it continued because we get laxer about
>>> accepting patches.  IMO we are probably too lax already.
>>
>> Really?  Hmm, that's not good.  I seem to recall 8.4.x being pretty
>> bad, and some of the recent bugs we fixed were actually 9.1.x problems
>> that slipped through the cracks.
>
> FWIW I concur with Tom's assessment.

The only way to fix increasing bug counts is through more-comprehensive
regular testing.  Currently we have regression/unit tests which cover
maybe 30% of our code.  Performance testing is largely ad-hoc.  We don't
require comprehensive acceptance testing for new patches.  And we have >
1m lines of code.  Of course our bug count is increasing.

I'm gonna see if I can do something about improving our test coverage.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.