Re: Postgres WAL Recovery Fails... And Then Works...

От Phil Monroe
Тема Re: Postgres WAL Recovery Fails... And Then Works...
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
Sorry, Initial response got blocked since I replied with the logs quoted again.

Also, which version of postgres are you using?

PostgreSQL 9.2.1 on Ubuntu 12.04

Except in my case no number of restarts helped.  You didn't say, were
you explicitly copying $PGDATA or using some other mechanism to
migrate the data elsewhere?

So we have a very large database (~5TB), so we use a script to do parallel rsyncs to copy the data directory (https://gist.github.com/4477190/#file-pmrcp-rb). The whole copy process ended up taking ~3.5 hours. So we did a physical copy of $PGDATA (which is located at /var/lib/postgresql/9.2/main/ on both machines.). We followed the following process to do this:

1. Master archives WAL files to Backup Host.
2. Execute on Master: psql -c "select pg_start_backup('DATE-slave-restore')"
3. Execute on Master: RCP='rsync -cav --inplace -e rsh' EXCLUDE='pg_xlog' pmrcp /var/lib/postgresql/9.2/main/ prd-db-01:/var/lib/postgresql/9.2/main/ > /tmp/backup.log
4. Execute on Master: psql -c "select pg_stop_backup()"
5. On Slave, setup recovery.conf to read WAL archive on Backup Host
6. Execute on Slave:  pg_ctlcluster 9.2 main start (as described in initial email)

Best,
Phil