Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: Re: Proposal: Store "timestamptz" of database creation on "pg_database"
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/5/13 11:04 AM, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Creating a separate catalog (or two) every time we want to track XYZ for
> all objects is rather overkill...  Thinking about this a bit more, and
> noting that pg_description/shdescription more-or-less already exist as a
> framework for tracking 'something' for 'all catalog entries'- why don't
> we just add these columns to those tables..?  This would also address
> Peter's concern about making sure we do this 'wholesale' and in one
> release rather than spread across multiple releases- just make sure it
> covers the same set of things which 'comment' does.

Yeah, actually, the other day I was thinking we should get rid of all
the system catalogs and use a big EAV-like schema instead.  We're not
getting any relational-database value out of the current way, and it's
just a lot of duplicate code.  If we had a full EAV system, we could
even do in-place upgrade.

Obviously, this isn't going to happen any time soon or ever, but I think
I agree with your concern above as a partial step.