Re: restoring from a dump

От CS DBA
Тема Re: restoring from a dump
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 1/5/13 1:54 PM, J Rouse wrote:
> Stupid person here.  Just got PostgresSQL today.  Have text dump
> file.  Need to restore.
>
> I think I need to use psql, but do not even know how to get to it.
> Need exact instructions on where to enter the command line, setting up
> paths if necessary, etc.
>
> Jim

to restore from a text (sql) file:

1) ensure you have a target database:
- you might need to set your path, i.e. you need to know where psql is
- if you did an rpm / package install it's probably in /usr/bin

# connect to the cluster (database instance):
$ psql

# then create your target database:
postgres# create database my_target_db;

Then exit from psql (exit; or ctl-d)
postgres# exit;

2) import the sql text file

- cd to the directory where the text file is:
$ cd /home/postgres/Downloads

- Import the file
$ psql  -ef   ./import_file.sql   my_target_db

You could also point to the sql file without being in the directory:
$ psql  -ef   /home/postgres/Downloads/import_file.sql my_target_db

Note the -f is the psql flag to import (or run) a specified sql file
from the command line, the -e flag says to push all SQL statements as
well as normal output to STDOUT

See the psql command docs for more info here:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/interactive/app-psql.html

Hope this helps,

/Kevin