Re: pg_retainxlog for inclusion in 9.3?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: pg_retainxlog for inclusion in 9.3?
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On 1/3/13 12:30 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 11:32 AM, Magnus Hagander <magnus@hagander.net> wrote:
>> Any particular reason? It goes pretty tightly together with
>> pg_receivexlog, which is why I'd prefer putting it alongside that one.
>> But if you have a good argument against it, I can change my mind :)
>
> Mostly that it seems like a hack, and I suspect we may come up with a
> better way to do this in the future.

It does seem like a hack.  Couldn't this be implemented with a backend
switch instead?

Also, as a small practical matter, since this is a server-side program
(since it's being used as archive_command), we shouldn't put it into the
pg_basebackup directory, because that would blur the lines about what to
install where, in particular for the translations.