Re: Unexplained Major Vacuum Archive Activity During Vacuum

От Shaun Thomas
Тема Re: Unexplained Major Vacuum Archive Activity During Vacuum
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 11/01/2012 11:40 AM, Alban Hertroys wrote:

> Instead of attempting to postpone freeze until beyond the life
> expectancy of our universe, what you probably should have done is
> vacuum more often so that vacuum has less work to do.

More often than every night, with autovacuum running in the background
to get regular stuff that happens during the day? 650M transactions is 3
or 4 days for us. That's hardly the lifetime of the universe. And since
I didn't modify vacuum_freeze_table_age, any table vacuumed after 150M
transactions is given a vacuum freeze anyway. No harm done.

It's my understanding you *don't* want to freeze excessively. I think
once every day is bad enough, honestly.

--
Shaun Thomas
312-444-8534