Re: Data directory transfert fails between PPC and x86

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Data directory transfert fails between PPC and x86
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
"Olivier Hubaut" <olivier@scmbb.ulb.ac.be> writes:
> I used to make synchrnoistation between data directories with Rsync cause
> it's faster when synchronizing offline database than making a dump.

This has never been considered a supported technique.  You can usually
get away with it if the source and destination machines are *exactly*
alike ... but if it breaks, you get to keep both pieces.

> It works really nice between all the PowerPC we used, but it doesn't work
> on x86 server (the postmaster refuses to start because the
> PG_CONTROL_VERSION is completly different). I think that the problem come
>  from the endianess of the data structure.

Quite.  In general the data files are platform-specific.