Re: hardware advice

От David Boreham
Тема Re: hardware advice
Дата
Re: hardware advice  (Craig James <cjames@emolecules.com>)
Список pgsql-performance
On 9/27/2012 1:56 PM, M. D. wrote:
> I'm in Belize, so what I'm considering is from ebay, where it's
> unlikely that I'll get the warranty.  Should I consider some other
> brand rather? To build my own or buy custom might be an option too,
> but I would not get any warranty.
I don't have any recent experience with white label system vendors, but
I suspect they are assembling machines from supermicro, asus, intel or
tyan motherboards and enclosures, which is what we do. You can buy the
hardware from suppliers such as newegg.com. It takes some time to read
the manufacturer's documentation, figure out what kind of memory to buy
and so on, which is basically what you're paying a white label box
seller to do for you.

For example here's a similar barebones system to the R720 I found with a
couple minutes searching on newegg.com :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816117259
You could order that SKU, plus the two CPU devices, however many memory
sticks you need, and drives. If you need less RAM (the Dell box allows
up to 24 sticks) there are probably cheaper options.

The equivalent Supermicro box looks to be somewhat less expensive :
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101693

When you consider downtime and the cost to ship equipment back to the
supplier, a warranty doesn't have much value to me but it may be useful
in your situation.