Re: hardware advice

От Craig James
Тема Re: hardware advice
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On 9/27/2012 1:56 PM, M. D. wrote:

>> I'm in Belize, so what I'm considering is from ebay, where it's unlikely
>> that I'll get the warranty.  Should I consider some other brand rather? To
>> build my own or buy custom might be an option too, but I would not get any
>> warranty.

Your best warranty would be to have the confidence to do your own
repairs, and to have the parts on hand.  I'd seriously consider
putting your own system together.  Maybe go to a few sites with
pre-configured machines and see what parts they use.  Order those,
screw the thing together yourself, and put a spare of each critical
part on your shelf.

A warranty is useless if you can't use it in a timely fashion.  And
you could easily get better reliability by spending the money on spare
parts.  I'd bet that for the price of a warranty you can buy a spare
motherboard, a few spare disks, a memory stick or two, a spare power
supply, and maybe even a spare 3WARE RAID controller.

Craig