Re: Better error message for select_common_type()

От Tom Lane
Тема Re: Better error message for select_common_type()
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
> "Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> Or we could apply Peter's patch more or less as-is, but I don't like
>> that.  I don't think it solves the stated problem: if you know that CASE
>> branches 3 and 5 don't match, that still doesn't help you in a monster
>> query with lots of CASEs.  I think we can and must do better.

> Do we have something more helpful than "branches 3 and 5"?

That's exactly the point of discussion.  A parser location is what we
need, the problem is that this patch doesn't provide it.

> Perhaps printing the actual transformed expressions?

Don't think it solves the problem either.  For instance, if there are
a hundred references to variable X in your query, printing "X" isn't
going to get you far.