Re: db size growing out of control when using clustered Jackrabbit

От Joshua D. Drake
Тема Re: db size growing out of control when using clustered Jackrabbit
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On 07/23/2012 02:13 PM, Gary Webster wrote:
> Hello. I'm hoping someone has seen this before.
>
> We are trying to use Postgres Plus v9.1.3 as the Persistence Manager in
> Jackrabbit (Apache JCR) clustering
> (http://wiki.apache.org/jackrabbit/Clustering).
> Whenever the JCR is under load, the ws_bundle TOAST table in the
> repository  schema, grows out of control !
>
> Some of my team members maintain that this problem doesn't occur with
> MySQL, but I would rather stay with Postgres if possible...

I don't really know anything about jackrabbit but generally this problem
presents when you have a lot of transactions that are idle. Meaning, you
have transactions that are just open, doing nothing. This will present a
problem with routine maintenance.

Under load you can check your process list to see if you have long
running transactions that are idle (  idle in transaction ). If you do,
you have a code problem not a postgres problem and it is presenting
itself through bloat.

Note: IDLE is fine. It is specifically IDLE IN TRANSACTION that is a
problem.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks.

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, Postgres-XC
@cmdpromptinc - 509-416-6579