Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

От Lincoln Yeoh
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 11:43 AM 10/15/2005 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:

>Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
> > Seems to me we'd be better off creating an option
> > "lowercase_quoted_anyway" which solves everything, at the expense of
> > being even less compliant.

I think that'll be a good option to have.

>paying attention to is from people who say "this application expects the
>standard-mandated behavior, why aren't you following the standard?"

Because sometimes too many people don't follow the official standard. And
sometimes the standard sucks ;).

It have been normal to have everything in upper case decades ago, but
nowadays the new norm appears to be everything in lower case (ever seen
what kids nowadays type/txt out?).

Not saying that's right, but I find everything in lower case easier to read
than everything in upper case.

>Although ... it's true that there seem to be very few apps relying on
>case sensitivity per se, ie, expecting "Foo" and "foo" to be different.
>The complaints that I can remember were about programs that expected
>"FOO" and FOO (not quoted) to be the same.  So always-smash-to-lower-
>case might indeed solve most of the real-world problem for the Oracle
>camp as well.
>
>Comments anyone?

If it's an option and doesn't cost very much I'm for it.

It must be a very small subset who rely on "Foo" and "foo" to be different
AND also rely on "FOO" and FOO to be the same. Wonder what's the term for
the even smaller subset who intentionally would want that.

Link.