Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas

От Martijn van Oosterhout
Тема Re: PostgreSQL Gotchas
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 10:00:25PM +0800, Lincoln Yeoh wrote:
> >Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
> >> Seems to me we'd be better off creating an option
> >> "lowercase_quoted_anyway" which solves everything, at the expense of
> >> being even less compliant.
>
> I think that'll be a good option to have.

Actually, perhaps an even more restricted version would be better.
Lowercase quoted identifiers only if they are all uppercase. So then:

Foo == FOO = foo == "foo" == "FOO" != "Foo"

assuming it can be implemented with some mediocum of efficiency.

> It must be a very small subset who rely on "Foo" and "foo" to be different
> AND also rely on "FOO" and FOO to be the same. Wonder what's the term for
> the even smaller subset who intentionally would want that.

The strictly standards compliant group? But then, they'd probably want
us to remove LIMIT/OFFSET so I'm not sure we need to worry about that.

Note to implementor: In 'SELECT 1 as "Title"', the quoted string should
not be lowercased, even if you are lowercasing everything else...

Have a nice day,

Вложения