Re: Performance impact of record sizes

От John Moore
Тема Re: Performance impact of record sizes
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
At 04:49 PM 7/4/2002, Tom Lane wrote:
>John Moore <postgres@tinyvital.com> writes:
> > So I *suspect* I want to keep the data in the physical row, rather than
> > using TEXT and having it stored separately from the record.
>
>You seem to be reading something into the TEXT type that's not there;
>perhaps you are carrying over associations from some other DBMS?
>Here's how it works in Postgres:

Indeed.

>The *only* performance difference between TEXT and VARCHAR(n) is that
>for a VARCHAR(n) column, on insert or update there's an extra function
>call applied to the new value to verify that its length is within N.
>TEXT makes no such check; so TEXT has a small performance advantage if
>there are lots of updates.  On the SELECT side there's no difference.
>
>Both TEXT and VARCHAR(n) data is stored using TOAST (automatic
>compression or out-of-line storage) if the row gets too big.  There
>is no difference between the two datatypes on this score.
>
>For the particular application you describe I think TOAST storage will
>be ideal, since the overhead of compression or out-of-line storage is
>only paid on the few rows where it's needed.
>
>What you really ought to be asking yourself is whether (for this
>application) a hard limit on the field width makes sense at all.
>IMHO you should only use VARCHAR(n) if you can make a defensible
>argument for the particular value of N you are using.  If you can't
>explain why you are setting the field width limit, then you probably
>do not need a specific limit at all, and should be using TEXT.

Yes... now that I understand the performance ramifications, this makes
perfect sense. Overall, the way you guys are doing this looks very elegant,
and just right for what I am doing.

> > A related question: is it more expensive to use varchar than fixed char
> > fields?
>
>There is no savings from using CHAR(n) --- most of the time it's a
>substantial loss, because of the extra I/O costs associated with the
>space used by all those padding blanks.  I can think of very very few
>applications where CHAR(n) is really a sensible choice over VARCHAR(n).
>US state postal codes (CHAR(2)) are an example, but beyond that the
>valid use cases are mighty thin on the ground.

My question was indeed a carry over from a previous database (Informix) and
from performance analyses done about 14 years ago!

>Bruce, it occurs to me that the "Performance Tips" section of the user's
>guide ought to have an explanation of the performance implications of
>TOAST.  We have some material in the FAQ but there's precious little
>mention in the manual.  Thoughts?

I would like that. I did look in performance tips before asking.

John Moore

http://www.tinyvital.com/personal.html

UNITED WE STAND