views: performance implication

От John Moore
Тема views: performance implication
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
We hope to use views as a way to give customers odbc based ad-hoc query
access to our database while enforcing security. The reason is that we do
not want to put data into separate tables by customer, but rather use a
customer ID as part of any query criteria on any table.

So the question is: are there any negative performance implications of
doing so (other than the obvious of having more data in a table than is of
interest to the querying customer)? Back in the old days, views were a
performance no-no in Informix, so I want to be sure we aren't setting a big
trap for ourselves.

Thanks in advance.

John Moore

http://www.tinyvital.com/personal.html