Re: Solaris, Postgresql and Problems

От Errol Neal
Тема Re: Solaris, Postgresql and Problems
Дата
Список pgsql-general
At 10:02 AM 7/25/2003 -0400, you wrote:
>Errol Neal <errol.neal@enhtech.com> writes:
>
> > After making this change,  and increasing the max number of buffers to
> > 128 and the max number of connections to 64, I rebooted my
> > system. Things come up fine, Postgres seems happy, but shortly after
> > the Postgres server dies or terminates with nothing in logs as to WHY
> > it terminates and it keeps doing so even after I revert back to my
> > original config. The only things that remedies the problem of the
> > server dying without any apparent notice is if I revert back to my
> > original /etc/system file.. Does anybody have any experience with
> > these issues? All I am trying to do is get a few more connections out
> > of my system. I could sure use someone's help. Do I need to re-compile
> > postgresql?
>
>Why don't you run the server under 'truss' to see what is killing it?
>It it probably dumping core, or trying to, since there is nothing in
>the logs--check your 'ulimit -c' settings and see if there are any
>core files hanging around in $PGDATA.
>
>-Doug

Actually Doug, it is not even "dying". I used the incorrect word. It is
shutting down... Here is a log entry:

LOG:  fast shutdown request
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down
LOG:  database system was shut down at 2003-07-25 10:54:57 EDT
LOG:  checkpoint record is at 0/909710
LOG:  redo record is at 0/909710; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
LOG:  next transaction id: 7898764; next oid: 49906
LOG:  database system is ready
LOG:  fast shutdown request
LOG:  shutting down
LOG:  database system is shut down

That is a few seconds after the system comes back up with even the default
amount of connections after I put this in my /etc/system file:

* POSTGRESQL SETUP 07/24/03
* optimised for 512 connections
*set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=0x2000000 postgres docs max
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmin=1
*set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=256 wasn't enough for 512 pgsql connections
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=512
set shmsys:shminfo_shmseg=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmap=256
set semsys:seminfo_semmni=512
set semsys:seminfo_semmsl=32
* set semsys:seminfo_semmns=512 wasn't enough for 512 pgsql connections
set semsys:seminfo_semmns=1024

*15/5/03
set shmsys:shminfo_shmmax=939524096

The interesting thing is that only my postgres server is having problems
with these settings. I am running sendmail and a few other apps that I've
compiled on this system.
Why is the server just shutting down? It does not exit with an error or
anything like that.
Now, I will be the first to admit that I am not a Sun/Solaris genius!
Actually, I am more like a novice in some respects. However, I know unix
administration. My point in saying that
is I don't know if those settings are appropriate for my hardware and memory.

Again, I would very much appreciate any help and assistance.

Errol

Errol Neal, Systems/Network Administrator
eneal@enhtech.com
Enhanced Technologies Inc.
http://www.enhtech.com
703-924-0301 or 800-368-3249