Increasing Max # of connections

От Errol Neal
Тема Increasing Max # of connections
Дата
Re: Increasing Max # of connections  (Errol Neal <errol.neal@enhtech.com>)
Re: Increasing Max # of connections  (Nailah Ogeer <ogeer@cs.queensu.ca>)
Список pgsql-general
Hi All,

I am using Postgresql 7.3.2 on Solaris 5.9 compiled with gcc and solaris
ld. Right now, our max number of connections and buffers are set to the
default, which is 32 for connections and 64 for buffers. I want to be able
to increase that to 100 Max connections and 200 max buffers, but when I do
that.. i get this:

IpcSemaphoreCreate: semget(key=5432004, num=17, 03600) failed: No space
left on device

This error does *not* mean that you have run out of disk space.

It occurs when either the system limit for the maximum number of
semaphore sets (SEMMNI), or the system wide maximum number of
semaphores (SEMMNS), would be exceeded.  You need to raise the
respective kernel parameter.  Alternatively, reduce PostgreSQL's
consumption of semaphores by reducing its max_connections parameter
(currently 100).

How do I increase the mentioned kernel values on solaris to be able to
increase the number of connections I need?

TIA,

Errol U. Neal

Errol Neal, Systems/Network Administrator
eneal@enhtech.com
Enhanced Technologies Inc.
http://www.enhtech.com
703-924-0301 or 800-368-3249