bit strings - anyone working on them?

От Philip Warner
Тема bit strings - anyone working on them?
Дата
Re: bit strings - anyone working on them?
Re: bit strings - anyone working on them?
Список pgsql-hackers
Having just used bit strings for the first time, I am now aware of some
features I consider a little odd, and was wondering if (a) they are
actively being worked on, (b) if they are not considered the way to go, and
(c) if there would be any interest in the additions/changes indicated below.

1. Length enforcement:
----------------------
    select B'10' | B'1';
   is currently illegal.

ISTM we should return B'11' for this. ie. build the smallest varbit that
contains the result, and return it.

2. test_bit, set_bit, or get_bit
--------------------------------

These are not implemented for the varbit data type

3. extract_bits
    extract_bits(varbit bits, int from, int to) returns varbit

would seem useful.

4. Conversion routines

Doesn't seem too unreasonable to support varbit<->numeric conversions.

Fax: (+61) 03 5330 3172          |                 ___________ |
Http://www.rhyme.com.au          |                /           \|                                 |    --________--
PGP key available upon request,  |  /
and from pgp5.ai.mit.edu:11371   |/